The Criterion Hotel on the corner of Robertson and Bourke Streets was licenced on 7 April 1892. James Hughes was the first licensee.
November 1897 recorded another first for the municipality. Messrs J.T. & J. Toohey had purchased the Criterion Hotel and had effected considerable alterations and improvements. These included the provision of three large lamps below the balcony, which added much needed light to that part of the island, and the asphalting of the footpath in front of the hotel; the first in the township.
HISTORY OF CARRINGTON by Edward (Ted) Coulin